Italy Wants Nikos to Stay


I woke up remembering Ettore’s hugs last night, and him whispering, “You came back!” I had also received a video call from my son John, who is taking care of so much for us back at the house. I’m lucky.

Today is hot, and the apartment is covered in Etnaean dust, because I have all of the many windows open. So, after Ettore left with Andrea for lunch, I scrubbed the place top to bottom. Andrea washed and delivered my laundry, although I never saw or heard her. “It was the fairies,” Elena said, when I asked who did me this favor.

I received a text from Nikos. He was on the plane for four hours this morning; they finally canceled the flight. He’s in Rome until tomorrow. We heard that a lot of flights (from all over) to JFK were canceled today. It makes me wonder if something other than “mechanical problems” is going on. Or, it’s Italy conspiring to keep Nikos here. First, the Agrigento key incident, where we might’ve turned around and then missed his flight (wouldn’t have missed it, since that flight was delayed over 90 minutes—another stall!); then this. Nikos had said that he wanted to go back to Rome as an adult. Tonight is his chance! The airline is putting him up at a Hilton near the airport.

Tonight, “we’re” using up the eggplant and preparing Pasta alla Norma. We waited until 6 pm to walk to Decó so I could buy some ingredients (and Joe’s beer), then to a panetteria to buy bread, because it was just too hot to be out before then. 

Along the way, we met Vincenzo on the sidewalk. It turns out, we were in front of his office. He invited us in for a tour. Very modern; carrera marble and mod terrazzo flooring, with nice jolts of deep red in the leather Chesterfield seating, Persian rugs, and shiny red-lacquered countertops. He introduced us to his IT tech guy, and bought us a caffe at the bar next door. We bid a buona serata and continued to the grocery store.

Scenes from our walk:

Loudspeaker vendor; these pass by several times per day. A diversion from vegetables, tablecloths, or cleaning products, this one was selling sofas and 
mattresses from his truck.

Red amaryllises in a garden

Variegated amaryllis in another garden

What is it? Apricot?

Magnolia

Floribunda roses

Once home, we chilled for a bit on the balcony. I have to weigh some pros and cons. It seems that, through some family connections, I could get an extended visa. Two years, with a month here, a month there, to take off. I could work full steam ahead on the dual citizenship during that time. BUT there are as many cons as pros. I need time to weigh them and think. 

As we tensely talked about all that, Joe heard someone at the door. He yelled to come in. It was Rachele, Agnese, and Ettore—they just wanted to hang out with us!

They played and talked and ate pretzels, and after quite some time, Giuseppe G. came to get Ettore. Sweet Rachele told Agnese it’s time for them to go downstairs. She crossed her arms and refused. But, Rachi explained to her in Italian, while winking at me, They have plans to go out to dinner. In turn, I agreed, winking at Joe, who didn’t get it, and in Italian, called me a liar. So Agnese was onto us, as Rachi stared big-eyed at Joe and slapped her hands on her hips, arms akimbo.

Testa grassa, I said. Fat head.

Agnese got her way, following Joe everywhere. After running downstairs and back up, Rachi tried again. “Agnese! Karen e Joe voglianno preparare la cena! Sono le 21:00!” Karen and Joe want to prepare supper! It’s 9:00 pm!

“Non ora!!!” Agnese yelled—YELLED! Not now!!!!

She said it with such vehemence, I had to turn my back so poor Rachi wouldn’t lose what ground she had, but I was laughing until tears formed. There’s nothing quite like a stubborn Agnese!

During all this, I got some fun texts from Nikos.



I’m happy he’s making limoncello out of lemons. I hope Rome is good to him, and that tomorrow’s travel is smooth and uneventful.

Now, just to show how sweet Rachele is, just look at these pictures she just sent me (on her new phone; a confirmation gift) from her confirmation celebration:

In her confirmation robe, with the priest

At her reception

I mean… she’s an absolute angel

Her parents, Maria Teresa and Alessandro, are a couple of cuties as well.

Nikos’s messages and the surprise visit from these kids were a delightful end to my day. I got a photo from Maria, with her old roomie (who I love) Vanessa, and started the day with sweet leftovers from last night’s call from John and hugs from Ettore. 

It’s funny and wonderful how the universe hugs you sometimes, when you just might need it the most.






 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Riparo Cassataro

Cinema Paradiso and more

Festa di Sant' Antonio