Checking out the Scenery and Available Real Estate, then Fireworks



Work, work, work.

From Sicily, I landed two landscape jobs back home. I'll need to squeeze them in, between Sicily and my upcoming trips to Milwaukee and Scottsdale, but it will be nice to replenish the funds I spent during this time here!

It's warm today; 85⁰F and sunny, which, if one could have a favorite weather day, this would be mine.

I had no particular thing to buy, but wanted to get outside. I stopped to ask Andrea if she needed anything, when Ettore came out of his room. No school today? "Febbre," Andrea explained. A fever. That's why the boys didn't come up to play last night. I said I could take him upstairs, but she thought perhaps later, after he rests a little more.

I decided to walk around and see what other changes are taking place in Biancavilla, and what homes may be for sale.

I hadn't yet been to the belvedere, so I decided to start there then look around.


But first, a perpendicular street down to it. I passed two guys getting into their car, when an enormous dog, reposing in the shade of it, got up to walk away, quite annoyed. What looked to be the dad of the two guys burst out laughing, as the dog surprised him. "È un cavallo!," I offered. Indeed, the dog seemed large enough to sport a saddle.

Renovations in progress. Dust was pouring from the windows, as the sound of jackhammer and drill also filled the air.

Belvedere at the end of this road

Sculpture depicting the blessings of our young and our youth

"Maria Teresa's Church" (Alessandro's wife)

The old wall

Picture doesn't do justice. He's the size 
of a Fiat 500

Work being done on the belvedere's park


As the park, too, was torn up and under renovation, I skirted the railing and looked out at the farmland. I believe it's the town of Ragalna that I see, a black lump beyond the trucks.






I promise that Mariella and I don't walk around with spray cans to profess our love!



I've been busy every day here, but last night and today, I'm not doing much (Sicily-wise, anyway; I guess I "worked"). Normally, with Joe at my side, we'd go do something during downtimes like this. I'm missing him more these last couple of days. I'm incredibly glad to be here, I just wish he were here too.

Hot and thirsty, it's time to go home. 


Gryffindor Pub still open and thriving 

Loving the arches, balconies, window friezes

Saint niches everywhere 

Gutted for renovation 

A fixer-upper?

Another niche, in a lava stone wall

Lava stone facade

More Falcone & Borsellino

Jacaranda and a sweet smelling tree 
I can't identify 

The apartment renovation behind Elena's church is completed. It looks bright, clean, and cheery.

Sprucing up the stretch in front of A Maidda, which I haven't yet popped into this trip

Horse meat

It's only noon; I've written all this and it's too early to call anyone back home, and getting too hot to hang out outside. Elena is out, having her hair washed and nails manicured. Actually, I wouldn't mind having my nails done. But there aren't nail salons here. You have to know someone, then go to their house to have it done. It costs €3-5! And my nails are atrocious.

Perhaps an early lunch is in order. Because if I'm trying to decide what to do, why not eat?

I held off until 1:00, then made an insalatone and rounded it off with the crusty bread and salume from the other day. Just after I washed my lunch dishes, Mariella knocked on the door to invite me to lunch at her place, but understood I had need a consummare the perishables I have up here when I politely declined. Too bad for me, as it smells incredible from my balcony.

I spent quite some time, in the sweet shade of my balcony, going over potential ways to travel to Thailand. We've never done cruises, and I'm generally skeptical of being hostage on a boat, plus all the debarking, embarking, etc. But, for first-timers in Asia, there are some pretty great boutique cruises. Small passenger load; they do all the work of getting from point A to B and beyond. It's enticing, but I'm such a trip planner (that's half the fun), I'm tempted to throw it all to the wind and write our own trip. I'll confer with Sirisala, my cousin's Thai wife, as soon as I'm back in Minnesota. She worked for the State of Thailand, and probably has a good idea what we foreigners like. Regardless; it's great to research, because it's giving me questions I wouldn't have known to ask!

A quiet and hot afternoon. Elena says we're going to Vincenzo's semi-recent endeavor (most recent is newest B&B in Taormina), a restaurant in the countryside just off the edge of town. He noticed a particular route used by travelers and truck deliveries, and marked a good halfway point between popular stops. It's brilliant, as all these people on the road enjoy breaking up a long stretch with a tantalizing oasis. The place, open just over a year ago, has been a smashing success. So, we're going Sunday, if all goes well.

*********
Rodi brought Ettore to me around 4, which was perfect. I was craving one on one time with him. He was sweet and funny and clever and even a bit tranquil. I don't know if I credit that to him being solo, or for having a low fever. Whatever it was, it was a heartwarming beautiful afternoon with him. I missed those.

Eyelashes for miles 

He IS the Grumpy Monkey!



Later, young Miriam came bounding into the apartment, Matteo trailing behind her. She threw her arms around my waist, put her head on my shoulder, and gave the biggest hug hello. Mariella, in their wake, explained Elena was still at work and she had to bring Nonno to a doctor appointment. Could she leave...? Go! Go! I said, waving her off. Miriam is a big help; I had no worries. Mariella said go use Elena's house if the boys want their toys.

Playing in kids' room with Miriam 

Matteo loves to "cook"



So we did both. Played upstairs at my place, then downstairs at Elena's. After some time, Giuseppe Uno, as my brother-in-law calls him, came home. I continued to hang with the kids, but Giuseppe said he's fine alone with them. I know he's been working round the clock, and Miriam is still here, so thinking he may want a half hour of peace, I asked if it's ok if the kids play upstairs. He said are you sure? But what are you doing tonight? Nothing! I said, and toted the kids to my place.

Elena arrived later, bringing a thick slice of homemade (by her... this woman! Two jobs, GREAT mom, bakes and cooks every day!) bread for me. Mariella followed a minute later. We heard a BOOM! I said I've been hearing that since 10 this morning. What's going on?

Elena explained what sounds to me like a church celebration of Christ's relic, something like the shroud of Turin, or the San Gennaro vial of blood. There are processions throughout each quartiere, in which each have a small altar. Mariella was on the phone to Pina, Maria Teresa's Mom, telling her she's bringing me there now. Right now...? As she grabbed my elbow and scurried me out the door, I gulped and weakly asked, is there going to be a Mass....?

As much as I'm not into the religion, I'm 100% there for the cultural aspect, and respect the people who are fully entrenched. And it makes everyone so happy to have me participate. Whatever laziness I felt earlier, for not walking so much today, was squashed after following the long procession on foot!

Mariella stayed for a short while, then left me with Pina, asking if I'd like a little zucchine brought upstairs later, as she's made a lot. Some veggies? Sure! Thank you!!

Pina and Mariella



The streets with the altars were pretty in candlelight; the soft singing of the followers was sweetly lulling, the flags and banners were colorfully draped across streets and balconies. It reminded me in a small way of the candlelit festival we attended in Birgû, Malta. People here, too, had inner courtyards on display through the open street gate, or entrance vestibules with sweeping ornate staircases peeping from behind the flung open front doors.

Candlelit street

Procession begins with yellow (San Giuseppe Fraternità)


They look serious, but they were squirrelly as heck all evening!

Padre Giosuè lives just a few houses from us

Antonio on the left


Everyone steps aside for Pina, who's all of 4'9" tall



Antonio, Pina's husband, is in one of the fraternità, and was in the procession. Just as he did at Easter, he broke awake from his walking line of somber duty to come embrace me and say hello. He and Pina are the sweetest.

Antonio

Candlelit street with banners 

They tugged at my heart a little



Padre Giosuè 

Antonio



Fireworks were at each quartiere. At one point, while watching some, an overhead pigeon lost sphincter control above my head. Luckily I had some tissue. "Buona fortuna per te!" a few observers commented. I remembered someone telling me last year, when this happened to Ettore, that it is very good luck when this happens. Great! I can always use good luck!

More fireworks 



Babies to the left, babies to the right

Such a cutie pie



After a processional throughout the quarters, there indeed was a church service, but it wasn't a full Mass. All was wrapped up within 15 minutes in the church. Pina looked me in the eye, saying "È finito". It's over.





Afterward, a number of women remembered me from Pina's during the Mary observance a couple of weeks ago, and came and held my hands between theirs, giving a bis-bis while doing so.

I thanked Pina profusely, and reiterated I am 100% fine walking home by myself; stay and chat with your friends. She and Antonio were going to walk me home, but I insisted I'm fine. It's a balmy night, with dewy air hanging around my shoulders, softly lit streets, and flower fragrances that intensify in the evening. No better way to transport myself than a stroll through all that.

Going upstairs and into the kitchen, I saw a covered plate on the table, next to Elena's bread. Must be my zucchine. But of course, it was more; a hearty brothy plate of myriad yumminess which happened to include zucchine. 

As the last page of Maurice Sendak's Where The Wild Things Are says:

And it was still hot.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stretching Out (my clothes)

Le Donne al Mare, La Famiglia alla Sera