After a late morning and another delicious lunch, we took the Clio to Etnapolis. At lunch, Luisa prepared zucchine "condita". It's really a carpaccio of zucchine, dressed with fresh squeezed lemon, olive oil, and cracked black pepper. This accompanied pasta with zucchine; also delicious, and an egged bread that my grandpa used to call Italian toast.
Etnapolis was empty, being the hours of riposa. I wanted to get a certain Pandora charm I saw online, but they didn't have it at the store. I ended up with an Aries "arete" symbol that's very pretty. Joe scored big on some cotton shorts marked down to €7, and a beautiful linen shirt marked down to not much more than that.
We picked up some prosecco, as I noticed it's what Giuseppe Rapisarda mostly drinks, and I got a celebratory Franciacorta for the anniversary couple, and a box of chocolates for Luisa's onomastico.
Back at the vineyard, the torneo had started, and Vincenzo was on the court. The children swarmed the car as we pulled up, just as you see in old movies set in small Italian towns. No one got run over. They excitedly explained that they have arranged a Cena della Delitta for this evening — a murder mystery dinner, complete with hand-drawn playbills posted around the property, the lettering being fat and drippy, mimicking blood.
Meanwhile, I took some time to study what needs to be done before my Thailand trip. They have different entrance requirements than Europe. As I was doing that, a monkey came and stole my sunglasses.
Monello
After chasing and wrestling him down, I paused to look through the vineyard to spot the Ionian Sea. The view doesn't suck.
Vincenzo's turn at the tournament
We had a casual but wonderful dinner; grilled chicken legs (they have no issue giving the dogs the bones to chew), really incredible hamburgers (no buns or accoutrements, because you don't want to hide this flavor), and cipollina, a Palermo Ballerò street-food favorite of mine — fatty pork wrapped around a scallion and grilled. Luisa made her zucchine condita again, and I used the fresh baked bread to mop up the "juice".
When I told Giuseppe Rapisarda that I have prosecco in the fridge, seeing as I drank half of his and noticed it's all he drinks, he scolded, saying, "you only had one glass — this is a whole bottle!" I replied, "Boh! Maybe I'll have another glass!," and Luisa, who had watched this exchange, suddenly burst out laughing, grabbing my cheeks affectionately. Check and check.
Ettore came to get me, to play a round of fusball. I warned him I'm quite bad at it, but I'd love to play. These are the moments that knit together the memories. I didn't play badly, but Ettore won... maybe he honestly won?
The kids have called us to the poolside pergola, aka outdoor shower area, aka theater stage. We were given paper to write notes, as they introduced the characters. The play is completely written and performed by them.
Giorgia narrates
Introducing the cast
We were each given a different mysterious clue we had to decode. The symbols are letters on some of the metal platters around the property.
There was a little intermission while Matteo squirrelled around and fell into the pool.
Ettore on stage
Matteo on stage, typecast with full attitude
Tomaso has the theatrics nailed down
Uh oh! Simone's character died after eating his dessert.
They are sussing out the potential
causes of death
Fortunately, there's a lab nearby. Yes! There is poison in the remains of Simone's dessert!
The lab
Teà is shocked by her friend's demise
Tomaso puts two and two together
Teà and Matteo adore Giorgia (who's narrating)
The initial shock over the murder
Simone is great at playing "opossum"
Agnese, quit growing up so fast!
The stage
Evidently, it was Mary, in the audience, who committed the crime. She seemed pretty nonplussed about the discovery, and grabbed a beer.
Now off to the campfire! Joe asked Mary how to say marshmallow in Italian. "No; it's not an Italian word, so we just say marshmallow," she replied. After a moment's thought, she added, "Or, perhaps, 'Marsha-mahlo'," which gave us a giggle.
Spiedini sticks were used, which get us a bit close to the fire, and we are missing the chocolate. I must remember to bring campfire sticks and Fudge Stripe cookies as a gift next visit.
We were the first to bid goodnight. Some of the kids raced ahead of us and struck up a fusball game, yelling Buonanotte, Kahren e Joseph! to us, without looking up.
Other than an occasional downtime to watch a movie or TV show together, these kids do not have screens in front of their faces. Swimming together, inventing games and theater, running and laughing, no one is excluded and they find something for a child of every age to do, including taking time to hold, stroll, talk, and walk with baby Giulio. And they're ALL wicked smart, though right now I'm gobsmacked over the depth of Tomaso's brainpower. American schools really need to raise the bar these days. The DeVos era began a huge down cycle as to where that bar now sits.
And then there's character. I'm beyond impressed with these kids. Instead of feeling doom for their future in this world, it gives my heart hope for it.
Comments
Post a Comment