Labor Day



We were the only ones celebrating Labor Day in Sicily. We took the day off and relaxed. 

We stopped at Decó to get wine, and at the last minute, I grabbed some beer — Messina Cristalle di sale. Today is swampy, and I thought cold beer might be appreciated. This is a particularly good one.

We tucked the beer into the garage kitchen's fridge, and I brought wine to the kitchen. Everyone was lounging, except for Elena, Luisa, and the granddaughters. They were at Centro Sicilia, where Luisa bought a pair of sexy-fit Levi's (pronounced Levvies here). Elena apologized for not telling us they were going; it was spontaneous. I had absolutely no problem with hanging out and not spending money 

The kids were playing a game, Who Killed the Wolf or Who Did the Wolf Kill, something or another that seemed akin to Who Took a Cookie from the Cookie Jar.

Ragazzi at lunch

Happy baby Giulio

Mozzarella di bufalo, pepe, origano, olio d'oliva

Playing wolf game




Teà, reflecting

Marta with the pups


Soon, lunch began to appear: pasta al forno for the kids, busiate with sugo pomodoro (topped with grated parmesan and basil flowers) for the first course, then salad and mozzarella di bufalo with olive oil, pepper, and oregano for the second. Dessert — more fresh fruit.

Vincenzo and especially Mary were ecstatic over the Cristalle di Sale beer.

After lunch, I got loads of Giulio time. Marisa, whom I've nicknamed "Principessa" because she's perfect, showed up, vivacious as a golf ball unwrapped a second ago. She brought cones and a tub of gelato, chatted animatedly with Luisa, Ciro, everyone, and gave her distinct opinion... orders, one might say.... on what and how to prepare dinner. "Pane condita" seemed to be the consensus. Pane di casa (baked in circle form), sliced, sprinkled with olive oil and a touch of vinegar, with cetriolo (some say it's a cucumber, some say it's a melon; my grandparents called it tortarella), dried tomatoes, and cheese. "O ahm-boorger," Marisa offered as an option.

I learned today that Sunday is Luisa's onomastico, along with Elena's birthday and Vincenzo and Mariella's anniversary.

The kids swam and played another round of the Wolf game, and found the Chupa Chups we picked up as a treat for them. Liliana and Raji called from their honeymoon in Croatia.

Elena and Mary bid goodbye to Gloria and Giulio (Sr.) as they left to run supper errands.

We stayed, as I got more time with Giulio. Joe hit the tennis ball for a while before the tournament started. As I walked Giulio through the house, Rodi was ironing. She asked if I wanted to join Joe to play tennis. I explained, no he's not really playing. He's out there, hitting solo. Andrea, hearing this as she whisked by, commented without hesitation: " Poi lui vincere sempre," — This way, he always wins. She is so perfect.

After some time, we decided we'd go back to Biancavilla and take an evening stroll to get a drink and a snack.

I went upstairs at the vigne house to bid farewell to Gloria and Giulio, since they leave to return to Caserta tonight. They have places in Caserta, Milan, and Gaeta. I called out Gloria's name so they knew we were coming up.

Giulio stepped out, "Siamo quasi nudi," he said — we are quite nude! (He was joking).

Getting to the car, I realized I left my phone on the table. I cut across the poolside area, where Luisa was walking with Giulio in the stroller. I explained that I forgot my phone. "Monella," was all she said, but deep down, I think she meant it lovingly.

The evening in Biancavilla is really lovely tonight. Balmy but not suffocating air. There was a glorious sunset due to all the Etna particles, as we walked to Bar Cristalle, which is closed for the holidays until tomorrow. Joe said let's go to Bar Stissi. They have good tavola calda, but it's really an old man hang out. I almost passed out from my spritz, which had very little spritz in it. It was Joe's kind of drink!

Poolside with Etna backdrop

Giulio laughs nonstop with Joe -- 
and vice versa!

Principessa Marisa

Gloria, Giulio, Mariella 

Giorgia finds a quiet study spot

Etna and the orange faerie house


We walked back home. Joe returned an odd call from a long-time haunt, the CEO at a former workplace, who hunted him down and left a message where Joe now works part time.

One of his cousins from Milwaukee is in Sicily now, and has contacted Joe, but we'll probably not get together. We're here for Sicily family time, and there's a lot going on, so not many minutes to spare. 

And now, because Joe will often correct me when I say we have family in Sicily: "Family" is family. Adopted kids are family. It's not a simple matter of bloodline. I am more with family here than almost anywhere, except with my sister, of course, and with my kids when they can bear me! This is my family, and the feeling is totally mutual (if not greater) for them. A beautiful heart always has room for one more, without subtracting from anyone else. A beautiful heart expands. Luckily, my kids totally get this!

And so I close aother lovely day in the life of being part of la familia Rapisarda. I'm so glad Joe is along for the ride.

Sunset from my outside seat at Bar Stissi, on Viale dei Fiori.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Riparo Cassataro

Joe's Fatherland and an Abduction

He’s Off, They’re Up