Elena's Birthday, Madrina Luisa's Birthday & Onomastico, Mariella & Vincenzo's 47th Wedding Anniversary, and the Return of Raji & Liliana

Elena, Giuseppe, Matteo, Ettore


There was a lot going on today, so today's post will be a hodgepodge!

Watching the alley neighbor assessing the territory 

Etna, looking stormy, but producing nothing

The boys fighting, taking it to Mariella's bed, having a pillow fight

Teà and Matteo swing and talk

Conversations after lunch, before the riposa

The dogs also take an afternoon nap (This is Lili's dog, Elisabeth).

Today, the air is much cooler and everything feels fresh.

Lunch was so remarkable — pasta with swordfish, Norma-style but without cheese or basil — I had a second helping when offered. This point did not escape Luisa, as she brought it up a couple of times!

With Lili and Raji coming here directly from their honeymoon, the boys didn't have long pants or proper shoes to wear for tomorrow's baptism. Tomi was brought various pairs from around the property. One too small, one (must've been Giuseppe Uno's) could've fit Paul Bunyan. Andrea walked past all this activity, saying he should try on Alessandro's shoes. Alessandro wears a 42 and Tomi's feet look that size.

One: How did she assess that so quickly and from a distance?

Two: How does she know Alessandro's shoe size? I don't think I know my own husband's shoe size.

But Alessandro's shoes fit him. I told Tomi he's the modern Goldilocks.

Needing to move around a bit, I considered going for a walk to the Casa delle Fate (the Faerie House). I walked by Simone and Mariella; Simone was looking sad. I asked if he wanted to join me, but he was in the middle of a kid misery cycle, so I set off alone. Reaching the end of the driveway, I heard Mariella yelling my name. Simone had a change of heart, and Agnese joined us. For some reason I have yet to figure out, Simone was wearing Agnese's pool slippers.

As we walked down the street toward the path, Agnese, a good storyteller, asked if I heard about the Dog Ghost at the point we were about to cross. I hadn't. But I guess a dog was hit by a car, and his owner was so sad, the howls of them both can be heard as you drive by (I'm sure it must be nighttime and a full moon, or something).

These two. The journey up the path was full of mystery and discovery and wonder. They are incredibly smart and courteous kids!


Agnese found a split stone, the center black and shiny. "È obsidiano," Simone identified.

Alessandro called, looking for Agnese. She used this opportunity to have him confirm the obsidian finding. Simone is correct.

Heading to the Casa delle Fate


"Zampe di Lupo," said Agnese, but admitted later that they're dog tracks.


"Una vignetta piccola!" Simone exclaimed.

"More" (MOH-ray) aka 
blackberries for Kahren!

The kids found thorny blackberry bushes, but Simone said he'd pick some for me so I don't get scratched. This kid also kept watching to make sure I knew of every "buca" in the road. "Attenta, Kahren," he'd say, pointing to an abyss in the path.

With dramatic whispers, Agnese and Simone alternated the script lines for the next scene: the troll dwelling. Agnese put a rock in my hand and explained we're approaching la grotta degli gnomi. "Like Snow White guys," Agnese offered a facsimile. But they meant trolls — and there's not an exact translation for that. Simone informed me that it's a bit ahead, at a higher elevation. We can then throw the rocks into their cave from there. And run really fast afterward, Agnese added. We went, we threw, we ran like hell! Whew! That was close!

We talked about the Casa delle Fate, and the faeries themselves. I said if you find a certain flower upside down, and it looks like a voluminous skirt and a small bonnet, that's actually a faerie. Simone's head swung up from his ground searching. "Si, si!!! Papaveri!!! Mi mamma l'ha detto!!" Liliana told him this about poppy faeries.

They found a chunk of marble, wondered how it got there, asked about marble in America, asked about my kids, had real conversations with me... Ugh; I'm so in love.

Simone noticed that there was a small bit of blood on Agnese's ankle. I found a soft bergamot leaf with which to compress it. We decided to turn back home, as I could see Simone was concerned for Agnese.

While all this was going on, Joe was getting ready to play tennis with the boys.

We returned, washed up, and I walked with Giulio and watched Joe play tennis. Teresa took Giuglio, and Luisa and I set the picnic tables. I said the only tablecloth long enough is the paper one, which is a teeny bit stained from last night. It's nighttime, Luisa shrugged.




Tennis finished, and the players all came up for a chinotto afterward, heaping praise upon Joe, who looked pretty good playing out there! Luisa gave a good nod as well. She asked if he enjoyed tennis. I said yes; he does, and it's great for him, being a part of this group.

More food (tavola calda from Bar Tucci), more wine, more singing, more cake, more fun. Everyone appreciated the gifts we gave: bollincine and Sicilian treats for Vincenzo and Mariella, 2 boxes of chocolate-covered preserved lemon rind for Luisa, and Dolce & Gabbana potted chocolate and a Pandora Aries charm for Elena, symbolizing my birthday, and also Vincenzo's zodiac sign, all things shared with Giulio.



Rachi and Agnese lead dance steps for the little ones.

The kids took over the tennis court once it emptied, as a gigantic play area to ride bikes, hula hoop, kick soccer balls, and run.


A lot more went on, threading the above-mentioned day throughout, but these were the highlights. I'm too tired to write or remember it all. A good tired.

Going to bed feeling blessed.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Riparo Cassataro

Joe's Fatherland and an Abduction

He’s Off, They’re Up