Birthday Festival
We began the day slowly enough, finally having had good night's sleep — until 9:00 am! Yikes!
I spent the morning researching itineraries and locations for my much-longed-for Asia trip, finally landing on Thailand, Laos, and Vietnam. I booked all but the airfare, as I'm not yet sure if I'll extend the trip. That took a while.
We're now driving the Ami, an electric car that's really one step above a golf cart. Joe's beloved Clio was sounding and acting pretty bad; we think it's the clutch (again). The car is 25 years old.
We got cleaned up and headed to the vigne, where Ciro and Luisa, from Napoli (Avellino), brought mozzarella, soppressata, and another cheese whose name escapes me. Vincenzo had tomatoes from Etna in a cocomero (tortorella in Molise) salad, which were heavenly.
Luisa only scolded me a little today, when I didn't cut the white stalk from the tender lettuce leaves for the other salad. I know it's simply her demeanor, but she scares me. I'll try to win her over.
After our incredible lunch and hanging with the kids, and a whisper of a smile from Luisa, we took off to the Chinese store to buy a few things, including a powerful fan. We ran into into Elena there, as she was picking up things for the weekend of events.
Joe and I continued across the sidewalk to Vesti Bene to find hats (protection from the powerful sun here), and I wanted some linen clothing. Big scores, small prices!
Getting through the door to our apartment, Elena called to ask if by chance we had a lemon. I said no, but I'll go get one for you. She's baking Liliana's wedding cake (she's Superwoman). After several attempts/closed markets, CRAI opened their doors at 4:50, and I procured some lemons, which she ultimately didn't use because she found a substitute ingredient.
Now home to freshen up and get ready for the party. "Freshen" is somewhat impossible in this heat, but I managed to juggle shower-deodorant-shower-deodorant just fine. The new fan also helped.
I stopped into Elena's, where she was baking the cake, and got a great big kissy huggy greeting from Giovanna, who had Giulio on her lap.
We returned to the vigne so I might stop sweating profusely and thus wreck my cocktail dress! On the way out of the apartment, we saw Giuseppe Uno, who told us there would be a surprise guest at the party tonight. Who?! we asked. Donald Trump, he said, spreading his arms to the heavens. He always tries to rompere le palle with us on this subject.
Ciro, Giulio, Pina, Francesco, Nello and Elisa were sitting out front at the vigne, all dressed in their finery, and gave us a joyful reception.
Matteo kept wandering down the long driveway, probably because he wasn't supposed to do so, as the caterers were setting up and the meat masters had the grill pit going.
Joe noticed the bar was open and got himself a Negroni, and me a Campari spritz. The vigne was filling up with guests, and we got to greet and were greeted by many old friends. Maria Teresa's brother is getting married on the 18th. Pina and Antonio, Teresa's parents (who I adore) approached us, saying they'd be honored if we would attend. Another wedding! I'm glad I brought all those dresses!
Just as I was feeling starved, the live music struck up, and the food was served. Arancini, prosciutto, cheeses galore, caponata, carpaccio, olives, spiedini, artisan bread, cous cous, pasta fredda.... I ate it all, and was stuffed! Oh? What? That was the first course. Next, the barbeque... Ribs, sausage, other meats. Then the gelato hour. There was a brief respite around the campfire — an American thing that Rachi enjoyed at Lori & Doug's place, and newly installed at the vigne — and then the birthday cake arrived. Much singing for Vincenzo, then people really started to dance.
It's a fun twist, walking into a Sicilian party and hearing, "Joseph!!!" joyously called out to him. The tennis guys! Antonio and Massimo are standouts from the group. "I'd move here, just to play tennis with Antonio every week," Joe said.
Elena, dancing with abandon, pointed at us from across the pool, and beckoned us onto the dance floor. We hung out there, copying Rajy's moves, because he's the coolest. We danced a bit, drank a bit, but at 1:00 am, we needed sleep... leaving the party as it was going strong. Saying our goodbyes, Massimo took my hand, bowed, and air-kissed. He's a charmer.
Liliana and Rajy were still dancing; I explained we had to leave, as we have a wedding to attend tomorrow (um; theirs).
Luisa came up to me, saying that I should go to the parrucchiere with the women tomorrow. Since I've been asked this every single time we're here, sometimes weekly, I decided to do it for this special occasion. But in my heart, I really wanted to sleep in. I'll need to wake up by 7:30 to be ready for Liliana to get me tomorrow morning.
Time to sleep fast.












Comments
Post a Comment