Another Day, Another Wedding
(All other pictures are at the end. I'm lazy tonight).
As usual, we got things mixed up. I recall Mariella telling us that Francesco and Valentina's wedding is at 10 am today, so Joe and I had a quick morning, primped for the event, then set off on foot around 9:30, leaving messages of that with Mariella and Elena.
Empty. No one in the piazza, no one in the church.
But it's a lovely day, so we sat in the little adjacent park. Sure enough, Mariella called; no, no the service is at 10:30. And though it promptly began then, I didn't catch site of those two until nearly an hour later (and the Mass was still going strong).
The ceremony was charming, and I appreciated that all the words were printed in the wedding program, so we could follow along. It's easier to digest a lot of the language if I can read it. Alessandro helped officiate, and Padre Giosue led the Mass. He's the young priest I met as he was serving risotto e finocchio on the day of Festa di San Giuseppe (March 19) last year.
Meeting outside the church after the service, Elena looked us up and down. "No one would ever think you're American," she told me. "Thank you," I replied. She went on. "Joseph, he could wear blue jeans everywhere, and he still looks Sicilian. But you dress like an Italian, so people are guessing". My dear, I don't think I've ever had a better compliment.
We saddled up with Vincenzo and Mariella for the reception, in Pedara, about 45 minutes away and almost directly in line to Acireale. As we drove through the pretty little town, I had a deja vu moment. I asked Vincenzo if this is where Nello and Elisa have a summer home. He turned a corner and pointed down the road, "La!" — There! We were a stone's throw from their house. But had to keep driving! Finally, we reached the reception venue, which is pretty in and of itself, but the views are breathtaking.
Drinks were flowing, and stuzzichini was passed around on trays. There was a Hollywood moment, when a chubby kid ran up to the tray and stuffed a ton of them into his hand. I didn't want to fight for a snack, and, like the chubby kid, don't need one, but I was able to nab a mini arancino later, as the caterer walked by.
Next, the antipasti.... tables bulging with various Sicilian dishes, at stations dedicated to groups of food. I sidled up to the octopus carver's table, and, though there was a wait due to its popularity, it was worth it. The crudo station and Sicilian vegetables were more of my favorites.
Soon we were called inside, to hear live music (the excellent sax player from Vincenzo's party), and to enjoy our two first courses and accompanying frappato.
First, a risotto with saffron from Etna, with such delicate flavor, I almost licked my bowl. It was topped with a favorite of mine, fiori di zucca, which were cut into delicate sulphur-yellow strips.
The kids got pasta with red sauce. Side note: What a thoughtful, well-planned reception. Kids were not only welcome, but the bride and groom hired young, energetic, sweet teens, whose sole purpose here was to play with the kids. Not entertainers, babysitters. They all were having a blast. Giulio stayed with us, and, of course, was happy the whole time.
The second "first," a ravioli, was a riff on the classic Sicilian pasta alla Norma. Stracciatella inside, a light sauce of daterini tomatoes, and thin microscopically thin strips of eggplant with just a smidge here and there of caramelized crunch. A dusting of near-granular basil lightly touched it all. Yum.
Music, music, music.
Next, the secondo. The kids got breaded cutlets and French fries, while we grown-ups were served a cube of delectable pork belly in a whisper of 5-spice teriyaki, accompanied by another cube of a thin veal slice, topped with something creamy, charred mushrooms, and mini-dice size roasted potatoes.
There was a palate cleanser of strawberry -lemon gelato before the dancing began.
Without much wait time, the concourses that held the antipasti now heaven with desserts; many various torta, a crepe station, granita and gelato with brioche.
We were all tired, and all ready to bid our goodbyes. I went to Biancavilla to do a final clean and some packing (and put my feet up), while the rest continued on to the vigne, as Rachi had a set tonight.
Another full day, and a beautiful one.
Now onto the reception —


























































Comments
Post a Comment