A Vigne Day, A Taormina Evening

We slept in, logging a couple of nights' sleep in one. We woke up and it was already hot, but the sleep was energizing. I'm loving our new fan.

After a lazy morning of editing wedding photos for the family chat (and drinking coffee), I took a nice cool shower and we headed to the vigne.

We swam and sunbathed and snacked and played with the kids and chatted with the adults. Sometimes I wonder what wonderful thing I did in a past life to deserve this.

Mariella commanded a dry-off; lunch is almost ready!

Already at the table were mozzarella from Napoli, bread, dried caciocavallo, a block of parmesan. Mariella brought out her sugo with Napolitana pasta, a sage leaf shape in pasta form, and harder than al dente. We call this a chiodo, but those outside of Napoli, including my grandma back in the day, call it alla Napolitana. This sugo, Giuseppe Rapisarda explained, gets topped with either grated ricotta salsa or grated parmesan, in addition to a spoonful of cooked crumbled sausage. Optional topping is a slice or two of eggplant seared in a pan. I love it this way.

Second course — grilled sausage, mixed greens salad, more bread.

Dolce — a frozen type of cake with a hint of rum, and tiramisu-flavored gelato, which I skipped, as I'm not a fan of tiramisu. 

We finished with cold fresh figs and plump chilled grapes.

Somewhere between il secondo and il dolce, a heated and loud political discussion erupted. This went long and strong, like a speeding locomotive, and was just about as easy to stop. Had it not been intrusive to do so, I would've captured a video. It brought back memories of Sunday lunches at my grandparents' house. Nostalgia. 

Matteo and I watered the garden and took a little stroll. He's still a monello, but a totally charming one.

After everyone had a riposa, I was walking around with cute baby Giulio. Suddenly, Luisa appeared in a beautiful dress with a red belt and red sandals. We're going to Taormina! Oh! I need to change clothes! Vincenzo said, no, you're fine, but I looked at Rosalba and said I feel like Cinderella in the part where she's cleaning the fireplace. Sweet quiet Gloria chortled out loud. Rosalba suggested I could change clothes and wear what I had on last night. Ok. That was a long silk dress for Lili's wedding! I'm definitely changing! Luisa looked at me and said, you have 30 minutes. She still scares me.

Joe and I flew to Biancavilla, I changed clothes and freshened up, and apparently Giuseppe Greco was in the building, because we were stuck in our bedroom waiting for the elevator door (our only exit). Then, the Ami, a glorified golf cart, doesn't like hills, and slows down. Have you been to Sicily? It's not flat. So we were 40 minutes and some people already left. Luckily, our ride didn't, although Vincenzo tried to make up for lost time. Ettore and Matteo rode with us, and Ettore kept exclaiming the higher and higher numbers on the speedometer. Meanwhile, Vincenzo had the music cranked, and Matteo, sitting on my lap, performed a lengthy, energetic, and impressive air guitar — I mean, I was really taken aback — through several songs. Then, in an instant, he was a weighty sleeping blanket on my lap and shoulder. It was pure heaven. I asked Ettore what's cool in his world now, and he said Nike and Michael Jordan.

We got to Taormina, met up with everyone, and made the passeggiata through town. Rosalba wasn't wrong; many lovely people were in their finest evening wear. I wore a shorter floral dress and chunky heels, feeling somewhat underdressed, but grateful I wasn't in my ash-cleaning attire.

We lost Mariella in the crowd, but met up with Elena and family. I held Ettore's hand as we walked to Mariella and Vincenzo's newest home, a tiny love nest for them, with a grand covered terrace on top, overlooking the sea. Ettore and I talked and actually spent real moments together. Elena, a few steps behind us with Matteo and Giulio, asked him, "Are you enjoying time with Karen?," and both he and Matteo gave a rousing round of yeses. Ok; my heart almost burst, and it wasn't from traversing all the hilly staircases.

At the terrazza, the food was already set out. Pizza, cheeses, charcuterie, more figs and grapes; prosecco, beer. It was a light repast on a warm and gorgeous night.

The long ride home put Mariella asleep, for which I was glad. She must not get much of that. She woke and immediately started telling Vincenzo to slow down!

Back at the vigne, there was a fresh cool breeze. We bid our goodbyes and good nights, got back in the clown car, and landed in our Biancavillan bedroom in no time.

A domani.



























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Riparo Cassataro

Joe's Fatherland and an Abduction

He’s Off, They’re Up