Good Medicine, All Around






I woke up this morning to a text from my sister, so I am now on a mission. 

You may remember from previous posts that I have both a favorite pharmacy and favorite pharmacist. She was in today. I waited until she was the one free to help me.

To back up in history, some of you may know the Italy/Doug's medicine connection. If not:

When my mom, Lori, Doug, Joe and I were in Italy together in 2019, it was Lori and Doug's first time here. Doug can have a cold sore flare up when he is stressed or whatever. My niece got married just before this big trip, so a lot was going on in September. I think we were in Rome when Doug felt one was beginning to percolate under his lip. He was bummed, knowing that he would be traveling for days with this ugly sore on his face, since he couldn't catch it ahead of time with some of his prescription medicine that was back home.

No big deal, I said. We will go to a pharmacy and get some cream. But I don't have a prescription with me! he lamented. The beauty here is, I replied, you don't need one! Not only will they give you the medicine, there's a good chance they'll gift wrap it for you. And it'll be under twenty bucks.

The pharmacist spoke some English, so Doug started to explain "cold sore". Puzzlement. He tried pantomiming a pulsating thing on his lip. Still not clear. Lori stepped up and quietly offered, Herpes Simplex. "Ahhh! AIR-PACE Air Pace Air Pace Air Pace" he boomed, his words echoing throughout the marble walls of the entire pharmacy. Now he understood. Soon Doug had a prettily wrapped tube of cream.

The next morning, Doug was in smiles of amazement. What IS this stuff? He wondered. I've never had anything work this fast or this well! I said, it's not like American pharmaceuticals, where they try to protect you from yourself.

 

I had a couple of tomatoes to buy, and wanted one more tortorella, so I made this morning a mission of shopping for those things, combined with a nice walk. Better to walk in the morning today; it's full-on sun and hitting 90⁰F later. I love it, but I don't want to sweat through the few remaining clean clothes I have on hand.

At the pharmacy, my favorite pharmacist understood what I wanted for Doug, and got me some tubes. I got three, just to be safe. 

When Elena, Mariella, and I were in the car to Centro Sicilia earlier this week, I commented on the Sicilian women's hair. Everyone has thick hair and I'm super jealous. Is it the diet of good fat? The altitude? Any scientific explanation? It's the drops, Elena said. What? Yes, every week, many women go to the parucchiere to get drops on their scalp. It helps to keep the hair and to grow some hair. But you must go every week. Hmmm. I asked the pharmacist what were in those drops. Ci sono là, she gestured toward a shelf. I clasped my fingers together, gave her the eye, and asked if they really work. I would consider other things, but I respect her honest opinion. Needless to say, I walked out with some. I have little hope, but remember my event with the pigeon yesterday... who knows? Buona fortuna.

I spotted the vial of tiny (smaller than a bb)  powerful mints I bought last year, and added two of those to my purchase. The farmacista rang up my total with an I'm-sorry smile, but I said, some women shop for shoes, and she finished--and you shop at the pharmacy. (Little does she know I do both).

Next, a stop to get the produce. I decided to go this time to the bodega at the end of the street near the apartment. Joe and I would stop in there for the salumeria alone. A sweet couple run the place. The wife (Mari?) recognized me, asked where I've been, and how long am I here? And where is my marito? I promised her we would both come in when we return together this fall.

Etna, looking pretty today 

It seems low, until you realize it's per liter

New elevator to train stop on v. C. Colombo 



Once home, Mariella called over the banister to invite me to lunch. Vincenzo is taking care of things in Taormina today. Of course, I said yes! She then yelled something rapid fire, exitedly, and I swore she said Peru. Cosa? With an exasperated sigh, she pointed to the credenza in the vestibule. 

WHAT???!!! Oh; I couldn't believe my eyes!!!! Nikos sent me THE SWEETEST post card. I shared it with Elena, who said my son is super deliciously. I agree, one hundred percent. I cannot think of one better way to make my day!! SUCH A THOUGHTFUL KID, that one♥️♥️♥️ And I love the way he addressed it, as well as his Italian sign off. Happy sigh.




At lunch, there was Nonno, of course, and also Maria Teresa, Agnese, and Ettore. Teresa explained the procession last night was Corpus Christi, the body of Christ, timed for 40 days after Easter.

We also talked about 100 Paroloni, the name of Nonno's new book of Sicilian poems. He had a photo proof of the front and back covers. Elena had arrived by then, and gave him a hard time about the title which, literally translated, means 100 Big Words. I explained that my mom thinks the elderly are always treated with respect and polite language and subtle voices in Italian culture. Elena said that's true, but not with Nonno. We also talked about loons, and how they are part of the goose family vs duck family. We all hung out for a while before I left to try to figure out where in my suitcase I might pack my hair medicine.

After lunch

Meds for all

And now, the kids should be here soon. Time for a nap?

**********
No kids, yes nap. I think it's the heat. Reposing in the middle of it seems like the thing to do. A 20-minute pisolino is refreshing.

I brought my gift for Giovanna to Mariella's, interrupted by Elena on the way there while I'm the stairway. 

"You, me, the kids, and Mariella are going now for gelato. You are ready?" Um.. yes.

We saw Giovanna on her balcony, so she let down her basket on a rope (everyone has these), I put it in, and she drew it up. I explained there is a note inside! 

All piling into the Cleo, Elena drove us to the newly refurbished Dolcemente Dolce. We met Elena's friends, Valentina and Federica, and I forgot the guy's name. We all met last year at the vigne house. 

[AND NOW INSERT CURSE WORDS BECAUSE A HALF HOUR OF WRITING JUST DISAPPEARED!!!]

I ordered an almond granita; Elena and Mariella changed their gelato orders to granite as well. It seemed a more refreshing choice than gelato on this hot day.

As we sat with the friends, Valentina disappeared for a moment, returning with a white bag she held in front of my face with both hands. 

"Per te!" she said. I'm elated with this gift. Valentina produces a top-of-the-line olive oil, distributed exclusively to high-end shops. Last year, Elena gave me a bottle for my birthday, and brought one for my sister when she visited us in the States last fall. A sweet and thoughtful gift. The bottle alone is lovely.




Back at Mariella's, we hung out on the patio, watching the kids play, and talked with Nonno, who asked if I'd call Joe. I tried, but he must be at work. Nope. I just now got a text saying that he was playing tennis.

Elena and I are going to take granite together at Scandura in the morning, then head to Etnapolis to get gifts for Simone's birthday party in the afternoon.

I finished preparing my supper, which I wasn't hungry for, but still ate two plates. It looks exactly like the last dish I posted, because I used up the mezze maniche and again topped it with cheese, but its taste, ingredients, and texture are completely different. I cooked the pasta risottato, so its texture is more risotto-like than a pasta with sauce. And it's yummy. Ooof. I'm stuffed.



Now to do dishes, then wash up and get to bed. The fireworks still fill the air tonight, and, because it's Friday and school is out for the summer, there is music and laughter as well. Sounds of rich and happy lives.

It was a day filled with goodness. Recognizing and partaking of that is the best medicine one can give themselves. I had perfect doses of it, and now head to bed euphoric.

Buonanotte.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stretching Out (my clothes)

Le Donne al Mare, La Famiglia alla Sera

Checking out the Scenery and Available Real Estate, then Fireworks