Dieta Domani

There's always tomorrow to diet.

For today, I had breakfast with Elena, Mariella, and the boys; Elena made a new batch of apricot jam and had an array of biscottini and pastry, juices, and caffe. Mariella gave me pants she bought last summer that are too small for her now, so she gave them to me, tags still attached. She insisted I come for lunch today. Elena started getting the boys ready for school; I left her Geox gift card on the espresso machine, to find later. Another good beginning to a hot, sunny day.

Having less sleep than I wanted, I tripled up on the caffeine back in my own kitchen. I don't know why I don't do more Moka caffe at home. It's easy and così buonissimo.



After a tankful of it, I decided a walk, no matter how hot, would be prudent before a Mariella lunch. Besides, I wanted to get her a little something, just because.

Stopping in a cute shop I've frequented in the past, I tried to find something small but pretty, or consumable and good. No luck. Then I remembered a Bourbon (as in the Bourbons, not the whiskey) shop selling all things caffe, but ended up (I discovered later, from across the street) I walked right by it. After a ways, I spotted a different shop for caffe across the street, and decided to check it out. What a cool place! Catering to all things caffe, and a little bit tea, they also had a nice selection of caramelli. I especially like the candied almonds. I bought a big box of a 4-flavor variety, and two sleeves of paper espresso cups that were pretty much Sicilian art as much as caffe vessels. I thought they could be good to use at the vigne when there's a houseful. Throughout my perusing and selections, I had a joyfully long conversation with the merchant. We talked about a crazy amount of things! He was born and raised in Paris, but has often been back here, as his parents are from Adrano. Finally fed up with France, he made a move here eight years ago and has never looked back. We continued talking after my things were paid for, he gave me a couple of regali as a sweet thank you, and I'm cursing myself for leaving here so soon. The language pump has been primed, and it's finally flowing.

One of the CRAI mini markets that I thought had closed must've been obscured by a delivery truck last time I looked. Still open! I popped in to buy a bottle of Birra Messina Cristalli di Sale for Joe. I don't know if it will fit, but I'll try, or perhaps I'll just drink it. It'd taste good in today's heat.

Elena was calling. Get down here, she said.

I knocked. "Permesso?"

Mariella was sitting right inside the door, wearing a cute sundress with a pretty B/W pattern. I admired it out loud.

Elena proceeded to yell at me for buying gifts, then, in the same moment, handed me gifts. A gorgeous necklace from Valentina Gioielli, and a pair of linen shorts in the same fabric as Mariella's sundress. Then Mariella handed me a jewelry box and said it's a gift for my sister. They fondly remember her kindness when they visited last year. Yeah... no gifts, my culetto.

Gifts to give

Gifts received


Where the hell am I going to put everything, and if I get it to fit, will I be over the weight limit? This new-to-me airline is stressing me out. I'll get to Catania in plenty of time; I hope the plane isn't late, as Frankfurt's airport is massive, and I have a tight connection. The weather, at least, appears to be cooperating. Unless the Catania plane is named Icarus.

And now to lunch. Normally, I'm not a pasta in forno person, but Mariella's lasagne was buonissime, or as Teresa said, "Verry verry goood". Followed by a secondo of cutlets, another thing I typically don't love, but these were so juicy and tender inside, croccante on the outside, I changed my mind for a minute. A big bowl of green salad accompanied them.

And then, the fruit. Will I ever eat fruit like this again? Yes. When I return.

Oh; the conversations that flow over lunch time. I again was pleased that at this point, I was carrying on discussions with Vincenzo about everything from yesterday's voting results to varying Native American tribe characteristics to Shanghai vs the rest of China (and Texas vs the rest of the US), to trips down the Rhein and the towns of Köln and Lyon, to name but a few of the many topics.

Alessandro walked in, holding the crocheted version my grandma made of The Lord's Prayer, which I had originally given to Lilly, but it makes more sense for Alessandro to have it. He said he is having it hung and framed, and the priest will put it on display in their church. This is so much better than having it folded and put away in a trunk. I think Grandma would be incredibly pleased and proud to know about this--but if you knew my grandma, you'd also know she'd never let you know it.

Originally my supper plans included one arancino. But I may need to wait until the excellent food stands at the Catania airport tomorrow. I can barely move.

I'm stuffed, hot, tired, and overall, really really happy. 


Pictures from the neighborhood:

The house for sale on via Trapani 

Via Gramscii


Moto and arched passage

Turn left at the icon to hit the autostrada

Sweat enhances the wrinkles

Ettore is at Tae Kwon Do until 7:30. Elena texted me, suggesting she, Mariella, and I go to Caffe Cristal for aperitivi, arancini, and a drink. I can diet tomorrow.


Indeed we went to Caffe Cristal, we gal friends together again (plus Matteo), and Elena and I got tipsy on our very strong Aperol Spritz, but they sure tasted cool and refreshing on the way down. The only arancini at Cristal were ragù, so I passed on those and ate the automatically presented aperitivi instead. I may get an arancino at Fontanarossa as a goodbye gift to myself tomorrow.

Drinking Aperol Spritz at Caffe Cristal



Morning will come early. We're stopping at Scandura on the way to the airport.

Tonight was a good ending. Lots of hugs with my Sicilian gal pals, and my promises to return. They --all of this crowd-- have a big piece of my heart. And now the land is in my blood as well.

Goodbye views from my windows:

Centuripe

Sunset over cemetery 

The hills beyond

Chiesa Madre

Good night, Ettore and Matteo (below) and my living room (above)


And arrivederci, terra mia, famiglia mia. 
A presto.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stretching Out (my clothes)

Le Donne al Mare, La Famiglia alla Sera

Checking out the Scenery and Available Real Estate, then Fireworks