Trani, Bari (and Santa Claus)

We put in a lot of footsteps and car mileage the past couple of days. We decided to explore closer to “home,” and with my friend, Nicola di Veredicis, being from Trani, I had to check out his terra of influence. 

With a pretty harbor and imposing cathedral (complete with my favorite feature—a crypt), this town would be charming enough. But the Villa Communale, which is the green space along the waterfront, is a lush central park filled with pretty flowers and all sorts of art. Modern sculptures contrast with ancient urns. There is a concentric circular path up to what is left of a watchtower, and a fortress.


Fortress

Cattedrale San Nicola

I have a thing for old men

Two-toned streets

Fortress/Harbor

Sarcophagus outside of cathedral 

Church door detail

The remnants from the Easter processions, collected into a church corner

Cattedrale

Frescoes





Going down

Crypt

Crypt




Harbor/fortress

Portal detail


Gargoyles keep watch

Nets




Work is finished by 10 am

Villa 

Circular tower path

We tried a photo of this sign and illustrating its command, but my reverse camera wasn’t working. So we just kissed anyway. No sense jinxing things!

Park sculpture 


Bright flowers in my color

Seaside park

The water is also my color




Post kiss


But no one was there




Ahhhh; thank you, Nicola. Yours is a charming town. Next time, we must meet there—it’s got to be halfway between Minnesota and Pretoria, right?

Since we’re basically staying in the elbow of Bari, we had to get in to the city itself. It’s famous for its orecchiette-making grandmas, its Puglia-style taralli, and the dish Riso Cozze Patate. Our Bari visit — food oriented!

First, to the Arco Basso. Once you pass under this low arch, you’re on a street filled with orecchiette vendors. If you’re lucky, some of the Nonne will sit outside on a warm day to do their craft. It’s been really warm here; I had my fingers crossed!






Success! I bought taralli I and a sweet almond braid from her, and she blew me a kiss.



And, since every Italian town has its grand church, we always peek in. Here is the Cattedrale di San Nicola, in fact, his remains are here. Yay! There’s a crypt! There’s also a crazy story about his remains, which we’re stolen by sailors and brought here. They leak a myrhh, a beautifully-scented fluid. And this St. Nick is THE St. Nick, of Santa Claus fame. This blogger tells the story best: https://italiannotes.com/bari-sights-the-tomb-of-santa-claus/


























We were now past the respectable window of time for il pranzo, as it was nearly 2:45. But this was going to be our main meal. I knew I’d regret it, but I picked a touristy place—I had little choice, as all others were closing at this time. But they had Riso Cozze Patate.

It was over salted and the secondo was a plate of rubber bands. I was so so sad. Badly made food bums me out. But, the rice dish gave a general idea of how it should taste, and I plan to try making it (the right way) at home. But we sat outside, which was pleasant, and the wine was decent!

A couple of Italian men, apparently also visitors to Bari, stopped on the street to look at the restaurant, and caught my eye. I slowly shook my head and made a throat-slitting gesture. “Ma no?” “No. Solomente l’insalata non รจ sopracotto,” I explained that it was only the salad which wasn’t overcooked!

Poor Joe. He hates listening to my restaurant reviews.


Riso Cozze Patate…and a lot of salt







Bari had it’s good points, and it’s a lively city well worth exploring. Next time I’ll do better food research. But today, Trani was the darling of the hour.

Back at the B&B, I rested for a bit before we went into Spirito Santo for a light bite to end the day. It felt good to do nothing for a while. The sweetness of doing nothing, as the Italians say.

Later, not wanting to disappoint ourselves with potentially bad food choices, we headed back to Da Giacomo. Anna greeted us, and a long table seated with a family celebrating a kid’s birthday were next to us. Two boys, 7 and 8 years old, one being the birthday kid, reminded me of my son John and nephew Sam at that age. Always in motion and getting into trouble!

The family began chatting with us, with more of them arriving as the night went on. We had a nice time talking about kids, being “seniors,” traveling, food, Puglia, Sicily, and soccer. Anna brought out a heap of the candy-sweet Adriatic shrimp, which we didn’t order, but it was a gift, as she wanted us to try it. Yum!

She suggested a seafood orecchiette for me, and Joe wanted his favorite again, linguine and clams. We shared a spiedino di mare. With wine, good company, and a warm atmosphere, this favor-packed meal was a perfect way to end our day.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Riparo Cassataro

Cinema Paradiso and more

Festa di Sant' Antonio