Old in New York

This morning's search for Ettore brought me to Mariella's, where the gals (including Agnese) were gathered for caffe. I sat down and joined them. Andrea was about to go upstairs to bathe and shampoo Ettore, so I hung out for a while. Piera soon arrived and joined in before starting her chores. 

Ettore came upstairs and we had our usual fun playtime, and Agnese arrived around 10:00, with her hair in Star Wars buns or Teddy Bear Ears, or whatever they are now calling this style. She always steps up the element of fun (or something, depending on the day and everyone's mood). At one point, we sat in the fireplace area and had cookies and the three of us talked about things in general. This is where Andrea found us when she arrived to bring Ettore down for lunch, which was early today; just a little after 11:00.

Agnese decided to stay. I said that, when Ettore leaves, I usually spend this time cleaning up. Since Ettore had colored many surfaces, including a chair, with yellow marker, Agnese said she would clean it. She loves using the glass cleaner spray bottle, and, before I knew it, the entire playroom was getting wiped down. I need to buy more glass cleaner and paper towels, but man; the place sparkles!

She then wanted water, and a cookie, so we snacked. Looking out onto the balcony, she saw the two chairs, and asked if Joe always sat in the plaid one and I always sat in the flowered one. I said yes; usually. We sat on the balcony, me in the flowered chair, for emphasis. She asked if I missed Joe, and I said of course.

"Aspetta, Kah-ren," she said, then looked at me directly, saying in English, "Wait".

Tick tock tick tock. What is she doing?

Then, Agnese returned, wearing Joe's house slippers. "Io sono Jo-seph...," (I am Joseph) she said, lounging across the chair. Now I told her to wait. I'm going to take a picture of this! "No... un video," she corrected, adding that I then need to send it to Joe.


I did. She wanted to see my phone, then took it hostage, shocked that I hadn’t yet created an avatar, so she did it for me. She also said she’d send Joe symbols suitable for a drunkard. And she sent him lots of emojis. From my phone.



She randomly brought up the fact that she is never going to marry. In fact, she plans to go to New York with two of her girlfriends when they're old enough; they'll share an apartment or a house there together, and each one will have their own dog, because Agnese is allergic to cats, so there will be no cats. Anyway, dogs are her favorite animal.

That would be lovely, I said. My son lives in New York, and even if he is not there when you move there, I could meet you! I love New York! She thought about this for one-tenth of a second, before explaining that, by the time she and her friends are able to do this, it will be at least ten and a half years from now, and, well, I will be super old. She's not lying, but I happen to believe I could still make it to NYC!

I said I needed to go out before some of the shops closed for lunch, so I'm going downstairs. Will she go to Nonna's or to her house? Nonna's, she said. She is eating lunch there. We walked in to Mariella's, and this was a bit of news to her, since she thought Agnese was out with her mom this whole time! I said we can go back upstairs, but Mariella shooed me away. She caught the bug and is preparing pasta e zucchine for their lunch today!

So I went off to buy more cleaning products, and as I hit the street, Agnese was watching for me from Mariella's balcony, eating a slice of cantaloupe. "Ciao, Kah-ren! A dopo!," she waved. I blew her a kiss.

A few steps down the street, and I heard, "Ciao, Kah-ren! Buon giorno!" It was Giovanna, calling from her balcony. I asked if that entire half a building were hers. She said yes; I said wow! She offered to give me a tour sometime, but not now. It's almost lunchtime and she will be eating soon.

On an impulse, I stopped into Il Pastello, where Nikos, Joe, and I went for a deck of Sicilian playing cards and ended up talking to the owner about Joe's lineage and my family's province (Molise), as he waxed poetic about their food. When I walked in, he remembered, called me Molisana, and asked where my husband of Sicilian heritage is right now. Geez; I don't know! Husband? Anyway, we chatted for a while, again about food, and also about his son having just graduated from university as a civil engineer, which he remembered about Nikos!

Next stop was the little CRAI market, where the young student cashier, who is learning English, remembered me from last week. We chatted a bit as I paid for my paper products. Then, I turned back toward home, stopping at what is now becoming my favorite ortofrutta stand. The wife of the ma/pop owners recognized me. She was helping another customer, so I stood by in the wings, as she nodded and motioned that she'll help me in a second (there are so many non verbal language cues). The woman she was helping looked at me, remarking that she's seen me in town (she did not call me a straniera), and said that I have a sweet face. The wife/vendor said yes; that I'm super nice. I explained that the ortofrutta woman has supplied me with Sicilian recipes. The customer woman pointed down the sidewalk, saying that they have a shop; her husband is Massimo, please come and try any of these things-- she began by rattling off involtini, and I told her I didn't hear anything after that, because no matter what kind it is, I love involtini. Both women heartily appreciated this. Their specialty version is, of course, pistachio. Supposedly they have a green ... awning? Did I get that word right? Green something that is notable. If I can't figure it out, I'll ask Mrs. Ortofrutta. 

I diverted from the main road, simply to get in a bit more exercise. It was nice to see that Biancavilla has a smattering of Pride colors ribboned onto the fence at one of the schools.



And on the way, I found more hearts for Megan B.




I also figured out that this children's clothing store (of which there are many in Biancavilla) is an awkward translation for what must be "Top Kids". But that makes it all the cuter.




Turning onto via Trapani, my street, I got another greeting from Agnese on Mariella's balcony, again eating cantaloupe. "Tu sei in lo stesso posto!" I commented she is in the same place! Mariella walked onto the balcony to see what was going on. Her face lit up. "Kah-ren! Mangia!" She made fork to mouth motions. No, no, grazie, Mariella... I was trying to explain that I was just about to prepare a big lunch. She buzzed open the door, and I went up, stopping at her floor to pop in and at least say hi. There was no getting out of there without eating her pasta e zucchine. I relented, saying ok; at least I can make a comparison to mine from last night. But naturally, Mariella's was better.

Sitting at the table along with Alessandro, Maria Teresa, and Agnese, who were finished eating, I explained how helpful Agnese was today. She cleaned up some of the mess in the playroom. I also said that we made a little video, on Agnese's suggestion, and gave them the background story as I showed it. Alessandro laughed. I then told them about visiting Agnese in New York when she is living there a decade from now, unmarried forever, with her two friends and their dogs, and that Agnese thought by then I might be too old to make a trip to NYC to say hi. Alessandro had stars shooting out from his eyes, trying not to laugh too hard, while Maria Teresa (bless her heart) said, "Karen invecchiata mai!" Karen never ages! I said again, Agnese tells me she will never marry.

In Italian: Maria Teresa said to Agnese, Oh, but you will find someone just as I did with Daddy, and you will want to have babies (their baby attended their wedding, fyi). Agnese looked horrified. No! Babies are too big; I'm not doing that to my stomach! Maria Teresa replied, they don't start out big. They start out tiny tiny tiny and grow in your tummy, so your body will adjust. Agnese pondered. How do they start so small? Maria Teresa asked, How do you think a baby is started? Agnese said, You swallow a seed? Her mom said, no, but in a way, a seed is planted. A daddy plants his seed inside the mommy, where it grows in her tummy. Agnese had many questions after that. My head was moving left-right-left-right as I listened and watched this conversation happening. At one point I asked Maria Teresa, So--We are having a sex education talk with a 7-year-old at the lunch table today--am I translating this correctly? Brava; she said. I responded, saying that if they are old enouigh to ask, they are old enough to hear the truth! A punto, she agreed.

After that, I needed a little nap.

I woke up and went down to Elena's, where Ettore had just awakened. The three of us spent some nice time together, and then Giuseppe G's mom, and his sister and kids were soon arriving. I came upstairs and rebuilt yesterday's blog, went on to today's, and kept up with Joe's coming and going. He is now on un traghetto, a ferry, from Naples to Palermo. They will spend a little time in Palermo (which I need to get to, so I can meet my friend Angela's new baby), then drive to Cefalù for lunch. After that, it is another 2-1/2 hour drive to Biancavilla. I hope to see them mid- to late afternoon tomorrow.

I took a little walk before preparing dinner. I saw one of the four "blonde" dogs that normally travel in a pack. They are not domesticated, and are a fixture of Biancavilla. I was sorry Nikos didn't get to meet them. They're sweet. Now I'm worried about this guy's three companions that are missing.




Tonight, since Joe is gone, I made another favorite of mine: cicoria con peperoncini e pancetta. Chicory with hot pepper and pancetta. I like almost any bitter green cooked this way, steamed with white wine. Not Joe's favorite. With a chunk of crusty bread, and a glass of crisp Etna Bianca, it was a tiny slice of heaven for me. And it reminds me of my grandparents' cooking.


As I snuck in a final quick stroll this evening, I realized my personal marquis is "I have a pretty good life". Biancavilla, for all that is difficult about it for me (small town, a bit antiquated, male-dominated culture, etc.), is becoming very much a part of my heart. It feels like home. Where at first it was this awesome family that makes me feel welcome, now it is spreading to encompass more of the town. There is something to be said for respect. When everyone has that for each other, the sun shines a bit brighter, and the days are amped with a bit more happiness. Giovanna comes to mind, when yesterday, I told her she looked really nice (pretty earrings, a nice dress and shoes, hair curled). She said thanks; you know I had a dentist appointment today. I love that. My grandparents used to dress up for doctor and dentist appointments. I wish there were more of that back home. Sure, we love each other no matter what we look lilke. Sure, it's nice to slob out and be comfy. But once you walk out your front door, it really changes things if you have a little respect for yourself and how you're presented to the world. Things used to be that way; I don't know why it changed.

Maybe I'm hitting an age where I sound like my grandparents. But nobody who ever knew them would argue that they were incredibly beautiful humans. Also, what do I know? If you read my post from yesterday, you realize that I chat with a priest while braless in a white hankerchief-thin pajama top.

Vabbè.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Riparo Cassataro

Cinema Paradiso and more

Festa di Sant' Antonio