Vigna, Wurstel, Gricia

"Ok, nobody's coming after this car on the left. Pull the reins sideways."


Today began in stops and starts, as I woke up many times throughout the night (or, wee morning), then finally got to sleep, but woke again when it was nearly 8:40. Although it was good to clock a couple of hours of sleep in a row, I had wanted to get an early start on a few things. I took an express shower and got dressed, ready to head out the door, when I saw Elena, who said they are going to the vineyard again. They are leaving now; do I want to come? It was then I noticed she had sent messages via text, but I had turned off my phone in the early morning hours and forgot to turn it back on. I missed her messages, but luckily was ready to go. Ettore stayed home, napping, while Mariella drove Nonno, Elena, and Matteo; I rode with Maria Teresa, Rachele, and Agnese (who wanted me to sit in back with them). Vincenzo was already there, having taken his motorcycle for a spin.

Maria Teresa looks like a kid, and drives like... well, like an Italian. She is always funny and bubbly and joking around (although not in a slapstick or corny way). She and Alessandro are vivacious. As it turned out, she and I were assigned a job together: assembling the IKEA pull-out bed that was bought for Joe and I for our quarters at the vigna. Maria Teresa explained that she is always the one to do this; she has assembled many projects at home on her own. I said I completely understand that one! (Although Joe is super good at it, if I ask for help). However; this was an IKEA assembly. It took three tries to get the right set of bolts and to orient them correctly. That was for the first leg on the bed. 

We worked together really well; had visits frequently from Agnese, Rudolf the dog, Mariella, and Elena. Eventually, the task was completed. It's hard to believe so much time had passed, and now we had to head home for lunch!

On the drive back, Agnese claimed a spot in Mariella's car, and stuck her tongue out at us from it. During the ride, we got talking about house cleaning (I was getting the lay of the land for the time at the vigna). I asked Maria Teresa if she had her own version of Andrea or Piera for housecleaning help. She said no; she does all the cleaning and laundry herself. Rachele piped in, saying that her dad leaves messes everywhere, even when he eats cheese. "Alessandro?!" I asked, shocked. He is fastidious in his appearance; every hair is in place, the beard is trimmed and combed, his clothes are fitted as if bespoke, and they are perfectly pressed.

"Dai," she exclaimed. "Anche quando si lava le mani, sporca lo specchio," she said laughing. Then I started laughing, explaining that this is one of the few but exact same pet peeves I have with Joseph--he dirties the mirror when he washes his hands! Rachele shook her head. Good girl talk.

Alessandro sat at Mariella's kitchen table, cutting up cherry tomatoes, fresh mozzarella cheese, basil, and... "wurstel". It's something I've seen on many a menu and in tavola calda cases. To me, it seems like a hot dog, and said so. Alessandro cut off a little slice and handed it to me. Hmmmm. It tastes a little like mortadella! And, I have to look up the pronunciation of "wurstel" and practice it, because I simply cannot say it! With this combination, Mariella made pasta fredda, a cool (not chilled) cross between a light pasta dish and what Americans would call pasta salad. It is hot out today, and this, along with grilled eggplant slices, was our light lunch. Vincenzo brought out cantaloupe, fresh apricots picked today at the vigna, and some of yesterday's cherry haul.



Today's bounty from la vigna. The apricots taste like fruity caramel.


After lunch, I decided to walk up to the Decó near Scandura; I find that one cuter for some reason. I was going to buy some Mr. Muscle to improve the shower drain flow, and get another bottle of white wine. It's warm out but really pleasant, as it's not humid. Good thing, because I got to Decó, and found out it is closed on Sundays. I could have sworn I've been to Decó on a Sunday, so I checked the hours online, to learn that the one on the other side of town is open. What the heck; I needed the exercise, so I did an about-face and headed toward Adrano.

This stuff is legit.

The next few photos, along with the one at the top of my post, are things I saw along the way between the two ends of Biancavilla.



I've admired this house on via Etnea, and love combo of the minty-green Fiat 500 in front of it.

Jacaranda on blue sky.

She's a smokin' today.


I like bougainvilla as much as the next person, but give this dang vine a trim!

Icon window in red plaster

Icon window in red plaster, with what looks like a cord for lighting it up



I have seen these urban planters all over Italy. I confess; I hate them.

After getting to the Decó that is open, then walking back home, the hour was 7:45, and I decided to start cooking dinner. I had a delicious small chunk of guanciale, and with Joe recently talking about eating pasta allla gricia in Rome, I had a hankering for it. It turned out beautifully, with the "sauce" being cremosa come la pastella. As I had the water set to boil, Elena knocked at my door, holding an enormous bowl full of fruit, salad, and vegetables. "So, you wanted nothing from the vineyard; you just left mommy's and came up here?," she teased. "And I see the water boiling; you are cooking dinner already? It's not even 8:00". I said I didn't sleep a lot last night, and want to eat early and maybe get to bed early. 

Guanciale

More guanciale in pan

Pasta alla gricia

I finished eating (it was very good, I must say), washed the dishes (including Elena's big bowl), and got the garbage ready. Monday pick-up: Organics. I grabbed Elena's bowl on the way down to set out the trash, when I heard Ettore pounding on their door from the inside. I pounded back from the outside. Quiet. "Chi e'?" Who is it? he asked, timidly. I pushed open the door and said it was the bedtime fairy. I said I was on my way to brush my teeth and put on my pajamas, when I heard him knocking on the door! He showed me a couple of things in his room, promised to see me in the morning, then ran off down the hallway. After Elena and I talked for a minute, she called to him. I went off, looking, but Elena was already on it. "I'm brushing my teeth!" Ettore said, standing on his little stepstool at the sink. "OK! I'm going up to brush mine now, as well!" I said, as he bid me good night. I love that kid.



Elena's cornucopia for me


I talked to daughter Maria yesterday, sister Lori today, son Nikos today, and tried texting #1 son John to see if he had time to WhatsApp, but it's early in the day for him, and he's always busy! Maybe later this week. I'll also try my mom at that time. And I had a pleasant end-of-the-day call from Joe, who is now in Sorrento with his daughter and her family.

And somehow, through it all, I was in the kitchen and looked at this cabinet door. It's like one of those dreams, where you're at your own house that you've lived in for years, but one day (in your dream) you walk through the living room and just happen to see a staircase you've never before noticed. Something like that happened tonight. We've had possession of this place since November 1st, 2021, and I noticed for the first time that there is a pull-out rack with a grater, a measuring cup, a colander, some garbage bags, a storage canister, and a series of cute pasta bowls and plates! How did I miss this for all these months? It is right next to the oven! Good Lord; I need help.
 


Tomorrow comes early, and somehow I am at a late hour again. And, I still have the NYT online crossword to finish. 

Here's to a great week and keeping cool.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Riparo Cassataro

Cinema Paradiso and more

Festa di Sant' Antonio