Palm for Starters

 


We left Laura and Megan‘s lovely home, as well as my new full-on crush, their dog named Winnie, to head for Palm Springs. 


Poolside at Laura and Megan’s 

Winnie

Sunset over neighbor’s house

I guess I can get snacks on my walk

But occasionally, a bit of northern Minnesota shows up

We were joyfully greeted in Palm by our friends the Edbergs, who whisked us away from our hotel shortly after we arrived, and brought us to a fun tiki bar called Bootlegger Tiki. These two are always fun, always have some new adventure brewing, and were curious about our first Sicily jaunt. So many fun and engaging questions! We primed ourselves before heading off to Boozehounds, a restaurant which serves both humans and dogs. The food was incredible, although I can speak only for the human food. I had the pork belly ramen; Joe had the sea bass fish & chips; we all had cocktails, wine, etc. It was an evening of way too much fun that ended far too soon!


No chance to sleep in or sleep off anything the next morning, as Joe’s sister Linda and her friend Paul left Canyon Lake early to meet us in Palm for a morning hike. We had planned on going to Joshua Tree, which I have been to before, but neither Linda nor Joe have seen it. The wind advisory looked sketchy, so we stayed closer to Palm Springs and hiked the Araby trail. The trailhead greeted us with funny political commentary, outfitted in Halloween style.



Araby is the hiking trail that goes past Bob Hope’s house, and one is able to hike to a vantage point above it where you can look down onto the estate. It is a cool house. The whole thing appears to be a series of what looks like enormous vertically-sliced-in-half toilet paper tubes built up from the ground. There is a golf green, tennis courts, and a grand-size swimming pool on the property. It was a hot day for a hike, and, as one might realize, we are in the desert. There are not a lot of shade trees. But, we had water, and we had time, so we took it easy and enjoyed ourselves. The views were spectacular, including the kitschy trailer court settlement at the base. The other MidMod.



Hope’s house peeking through

Hope’s house from above/behind

From front 


Back at the hotel, I grabbed a couple of extra towels so Linda and Paul could cool off, shower, and change clothes before dinner with Linda/Joe’s brother Tom and his girlfriend Susan later in the evening. Before we met them, however, we walked to see amazonian Marilyn, who has returned to her rightful spot near the main art museum in Palm Springs. We also took a window-shopping stroll along Palm Canyon Drive, and made it back closer to the hotel to enjoy a wine bar I’ve wanted to try. We had to kill some time before they opened at the absurdly late hour of 3 o’clock. Dinner, then an early night, so we bid our goodbyes. We needed sleep to refresh ourselves before the next day of golfing (for Joe) and hiking and shopping (for me).


Araby trail




Marilyn’s back!

Paul, Linda, Joe, Me

Joe, Me

“The Babies”  and “Fault Line” museum exhibits



He was part of our day up top and down low

Word search

It was a warm day on Wednesday. Correction: it was a hot day on Wednesday. Joe’s kind of weather. We enjoyed Palm Springs separately and then met up for our dinner date. I hiked the Museum Trail, then at the hotel I was able to lounge at the pool, do some reading, sunbathe, and just let myself relax. It was great. As we got ready for dinner, I decided to wash away the gray. I am sort of regretting it, since it took all of lockdown plus another half year, to grow it out gray. But, after I rinsed off, dried my hair, and looked in the mirror, I said “Welcome back!”. Just like Marilyn.


Museum Trail


I kept going!

A chuckwalla scared the crap out of me when he came out of nowhere to run past my feet!


New permanent exhibit coming

Pretty entry

Loved this landscaping 

MidMod signage

Mountain, MidMod roofline, palm tree

Cool doors

More pretty landscaping 

Just say ahhhhh


Tonight’s dinner was at Copley’s, where we had dined last year, and once again our dining experience was knocked out of the ballpark. I love this place. It is set in Cary Grant’s former summer estate.


There isn’t anything about it for which I wouldn’t give five stars. We split a salad which included fresh shaved fennel, then each moved on to a roasted Barramundi dish, and finished with splitting a fig pudding that was to die for. All was accompanied by a beautiful white wine chosen for us by our server. The food was exceptional, the service exceptional as well, and the ambience is so pretty and romantic and tasteful, I am left without comparison.


As lovely as it is staying where we are in Arizona, I was super sad to leave Palm Springs. I reflected on this a little. The first time I ever set foot in Palm Springs, I saw the whole thing through golfers’ eyes. (I don’t golf). It felt like God’s waiting room…is anyone under 60? And trailer courts. And trailer court bars. And trailer court bands and dancing. Lots of cigarettes. All fine and fun for many, just not my idea of how to enjoy a California stay. Once I started exploring on my own, and with input from my friends Lynn and Daniel (who vacation in Palm regularly) and the Edbergs (who have a home here), I began to discover an exploding blossom of wonderful-ness that is now my own curated (with continuing editions) Palm Springs. I love it. And this is why it is hard to leave.


But the break, with any luck, is short.


While I’ve been gone for months, my mom was experiencing symptoms which indicated she needed a surgery on her brain. Since Covid restrictions allowed only the person accompanying her to appointments to also be with her at the hospital, my sister took on this responsibility. I leave this week to be with mom for the rest of her after care. She came out of the surgery swimmingly, and is doing great. Thanks to all of you who were in the know, and sent your prayers and/or good wishes. They worked.


If all goes well, and she’s doing OK, I will return to Palm Springs to meet up with Joe later this month. I am looking forward to it. I hate Minnesota winters. Even in March. Maybe especially in March. But, mom needs me. And that comes first. If things go as planned, and I can get back to Palm Springs, I am beyond excited to see my friends Lynn and Daniel again; it’s been far too long, and I enjoy them so much. 


I’ve gotta say though, I’m at one of those life crossroads lately. I once dreamed of getting on a one-way plane to some far-off land— but of course, I’ve learned that extended residency visas are needed, and lord knows they’re not easy to get. And, mom has to get better. Oh yeah; and I’m broke. So. *Snaps fingers*


Fingers crossed, instead of roads. But with my creaky joints, neither scenario is super easy.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Riparo Cassataro

Cinema Paradiso and more

Festa di Sant' Antonio