Ben tornata!

 

Cornetto di pistacchio e cappuccino vero, at Rome's Airport Eataly, while we wait for our flight to Catania.

We're home! Our other home! After easy flights (other than having little to no food service on the longest leg), Joe and I clinked cappuccino cups upon our return to the Motherland. We each scarfed down the unequivocal cornetto; a simple pastry with a crunchy flaky exterior and layers upon layers of silken interior. I normally order mine 'vuoto,' meaning empty, but the pistachio beckoned to both of us. It was just enough of a sugar hit to play well with the caffeine. These, as with the New York bagel, can't be replicated upon leaving their natural habitat.

We have a gap of time before our next flight but, anxious as I am to see the family, it's not a bad thing. This airport has everything. I'm tempted to pick up a panettone, since we have a running joke with the family that every panettone is 'l'ultimo panettone ' -- the last panettone. But there's no way to carry it. I (uncharacteristically) packed a lot this trip.

Joe at FCO

Vincenzo found us outside the Catania Airport shortly after we landed, and helped me with the luggage. Mama Etna greeted us soon after we hit the road.



We had a chatty drive home, where Mariella, Ettore, and Titi the yapping dog greeted us from the balcony.

Mariella had a lunch of pasta e lenticchie, a favorite lentil dish of mine, ready upon our entrance. We gobbled it up, as we were hungry and ready for Sicilian food--especially Mariella's!

My brother-in-law is correct in likening Vincenzo to my beloved grandpa.


With full stomachs, we unloaded the family elevator of our luggage and I started organizing our closet and bathroom. All of a sudden, I was swept with fatigue, set an alarm, and crashed into a deep, unmoving, much-needed nap.

Afterward, I freshened up and went to Elena's, where I saw Rodi (Matteo's nanny and a lovely friend), Nonno, and a leaving from the other side of the room and into my arms Agnese. She is still wild and beautiful and smart as a whip. I called Joe down to join us; Nonno was thrilled to see him, and gave Joe another one of his books.

We were joined by Gina and Giovanna, and i brought up everyone's gifts. Mariella likes the photo book I put together for her (and one for Elena); Biancavilla Through My Eyes. They also liked the Halloween items. I promised we'd carve pumpkins.

Alessandro arrived, teasing the nephews, and looking in better form than ever. He and Elena ordered pizzas for the family: pistacchio & prosciutto, alla Norma, eggplant and local mushrooms, handmade sausage with tomatoes and roasted peppers. I thought I was still full from lunch, but I tried nearly every type because they were each incredible.

Rachi, a local tennis champ and, at 13, looking like a supermodel, arrived and hugged as if she'd never let go. We've always told the family they are welcome at our home, and Rachi announced she will come in the summer, with hopes of participating in a tennis camp or organization where there are tournaments. She also wants to challenge her English to the next level. A burgeoning polyglot, she's speaking English, French, and Spanish! 

Elena explained that the American term "crush" is popular, and that Rachi has one--on a 15-year-old American boy named Caden. He speaks Italian; his parents started their family on the military base Sigonella, in Catania. Agnese said he's ugly, and made a face and posture in imitation, and once we saw the photo, I lost it. Agnese's imitation was not wrong (but Caden is not really ugly). I told Rachi to wait; 30 or 31 is the perfect age to start a romance, and Alessandro boldly applauded the idea.

Although I had a cat nap, I was still fading fast at this hour. I didn't argue when they said they'd clean up, and Joe and I headed off to a date with our respective pillows.

In a heartbeat, here we are; right back in our Sicily life.

But I do miss my sister.


Comments

  1. I miss you, too! And wanted to call you, per usual, this morning!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Stretching Out (my clothes)

Le Donne al Mare, La Famiglia alla Sera

Checking out the Scenery and Available Real Estate, then Fireworks