Thursday’s Child

The sum of today is “…far to go,”just like Thursday’s child.

Still hearing as if I’m 6 feet underwater (which is to say, not much), but feeling ok, was yesterday’s self-assessment by nightfall.

Today, still deaf, I’m having a setback. I’m so frustrated. And Joe is over it. I told him, I think I need to leave, to break the cycle. The household just keeps passing it around. Normally, I’m an ox, and at worst need to conk out for a day to be good as new the next. But that’s not a cure that’s working here.

We did go into Adrano, and the wine shop is small but very well curated. Planeta, in their grand takeover fashion, has made not only the Solichiata castle inaccessible to the public, but their wines as well. Business to business only. We bought several nice bottles of other Etnaean wine; too many, I think, but we’ll pluck away at them. Joe also got cigars. The owner is delightful; we talked for a while. She and her husband have had the shop in that same spot for 39 years. She was tickled to have Americans visiting Adrano!

In local wine shop hierarchy, I still put the Catania enoteca at the top, the new liquor/wine store in Biancavilla next, then Adrano, and yes—then Decò.

How many of you noticed that I either write Dèco or Decò? The latter is correct. I don’t know why I’ve messed it up so many times, having gone there 1-2 times a week!

So my lame photos today are from the family’s vestibule, and from the Decò parking lot (since I can’t get enough of Etna, or as they say, “The Etna”).

Nativity, nude study, fresh bread, Elena’s delivery: 
a composition.

The Etna


On the way back to Biancavilla from Adrano, I wanted to stop at the ’Pianti è Funghi’ center. Plants and mushrooms! Perhaps they have seeds! But I noticed the entrance too late; we overshot it. Patient Joe circled back, but a woman was driving a car out of the 3-ft wide driveway, so Joe had to back into traffic coming from both ways. It wasn’t going smoothly. “Let’s forget it, and go next door to Decò. Maybe they’ll have Bietola seeds,” I said. Indeed they did. I got their remaining 4 packs of them, and some Vitamin C lozenges.

I laid down when we got home.

Elena had not known of the mother’s birthstone tradition, so I ordered two charms, one with Ettore’s topaz, and one with Matteo’s emerald, as a thank you gift. I thought they’d arrive next week, but I got this text:


She’s unpredictable 


Ettore came up quite late today, in a great mood at first, but then he turned on me. I think he’s also sick of me being sick. And, because I can’t hear that well, I think he told Elena I bit him. (I didn’t, just for the record).

It’s only 6:20, but I’m feeling chilled and want to lie down again. I hope this is the last shove before this crud leaves my system for good. I’m so very bored and annoyed with it all.

If I wake to anything exciting tonight, I’ll update the post. Meanwhile, could some of you entertain poor Joe?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Riparo Cassataro

Cinema Paradiso and more

Festa di Sant' Antonio