Daniel & David


No, it’s not a Bible story. But I can’t hear/read/think of April 12th without imagining my friend, Daniel Gottlieb, or the 70s teen heartthrob, David Cassidy. April 12th is their birthday. True, it’s on the heels of my own, so this has always been a part of remembering theirs. Although, as a preteen, I was Team Bobby Sherman, the retired sheriff/paramedic who was also a singer, actor, teen heartthrob. I have no idea of his birthday.

So far, it’s been a boring day. Ettore backed out of coming up here this afternoon; we’ll see if that changes.

I spent the morning wiping down the insides of cabinets and cleaning the fridge. I’m going through what can be tossed. Tomorrow I’ll start packing the gifts I’ll bring home, as well as any clothes I’m no longer going to wear here.

After that short cleaning burst, Joe and I went out to buy coffee (grounds), TP, wine, and fresh pasta. It’s a glorious day! 

Etna’s looking good from the Dèco parking lot

I’m super tired, because I was up dealing with my credit card company, who oddly put a block on my card because of my regular Amazon Prime payment. I don’t get it, but it was annoying, took a while, and then sleep was elusive. A nap is in order today.

On the walk home, Joe stopped at the bakery to get an arancino and a bottle of beer. I passed, as I have an upset stomach today (Rachi and Agnese each did, yesterday). 

Forno delle Delizie

The Strip—meat/cheese truck, a favorite ortofrutta, Crispelle and Panino trucks set up at night.


We continued home, cutting down the little side street that is the last leg of our journey. Sometimes you have to press yourself against the building, like a Tom & Jerry cartoon, when a car is coming. 

A van stopped next to us. The driver asked if we were in want of some nice fish. No, no thank you, we said.  “Fate un occhio,” he said, dragging his finger down from the corner of his eye. Take a look. He jumped out and opened the trunk.

Pretty soon it was hard to say no. He had fresh cod (where’s fresh cod from around here?), and starting piling enough of it for 6 people onto the scale. No, it’s only the two of us; just two steaks (they were like tuna steaks). This? He had five. “Meno!” Less! This? Finally, down to three steaks, we said ok, ok (I had other dinner stuff planned). He weighed and threw in another steak to make the € even, and gave us a bunch of parsley. We’re having cod tonight.

We saw Maria Teresa leaning in to her dad’s car in front of the house, talking. We exchanged pleasantries with she and Antonio, and went upstairs; me, to nap, Joe, to eat.

While waiting for Ettore, I set up my 2x/week language lessons with Lilliana’s friend, Marco. We start tomorrow!

Ettore did arrive around 4:00 pm. He wanted, as always, chocolate. Today is a hard day for him, going back to preschool after the long holiday break. We made a deal, “One and stop!” and he pinky-swore with Andrea and I.

Joe has been asking daily when I’m going to break into that 40€ Dolce & Gabbana chocolate Baci egg. So we did it today. It is HEAVENLY. Inside the hollow chocolate egg is a thoughtful hollow plastic egg (to store the shards), and inside that were 4 Baci chocolates and a pretty magnet. We were all happy.



The other 3 Baci were eaten immediately 

Once he decided to join us today, it was nonstop. He was pretty fun and charming all day, with just one episode of missing mama. We redirected and things were fine. Joe’s antics always help.


Rachi and her friend Giulia, both sweethearts, came up to say hi (they actually stayed to talk to us!), and to bring Ettore downstairs with them.

“Gooooddd bye-a!” he said, waving his way down the stairs.

And Joe is “Lo Chef” this evening, so I’m off the hook until dish washing time.

Supper was out of this world, so we had to have a Planeta white to go with it! And, we ate every last bite.



These little days of here-and-there things are the heart of la bella vita. I love living it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Riparo Cassataro

Cinema Paradiso and more

Festa di Sant' Antonio