Buona Domenica


These two are forever beloved.

We once again had a fun impromptu morning visit from Ettore, while I was trying to get dressed. We played for a while, he went home, then Joe and I took a walk to the belvedere. On the way, we saw our friend Giuseppe in the doorway of the corner house, who once again told Joe he’s a lucky man, and asked him if he knew how beautiful I am. I said I’m lucky too! And he agreed Joe is “un bel’ uomo” (I do think he’s the handsomest).

Along the way, Joe and I discussed options for some last-minute local side trips. We want to make the most of our remaining time in Sicily before traveling to the mainland. 

Belvedere toward Adrano

Tiered hill with overgrown stone walls

Belvedere toward Centuripe

Belvedere toward Catenanuova

Belvedere toward PaternĂ²

The Belvedere’s piazza is the napping spot for Biancavilla’s sweet strays


Some, but not all options for our side trips, include Taormina, Aci Castello, the castle town Alessandro told us about, Leonforte, maybe going again to some islands, and so much more to choose from. Wednesday looks like a good weather day for such things, so we need to narrow it down soon.

On our return walk, I noticed what looks like a Gay Pride flag in front of the Communist’s Club, next to the illustration of Mussolini. But it’s a PACE rainbow flag, which was created years before the pride flag, in tandem with Picasso’s Dove poster. 

I prefer calling it a rainbow flag, since the juxtaposition against Mussolini has some irony.



More glimpses along the way.

The Harry Potter bar comes alive 
between 10-2:00 at night


Pretty Karl Marx Street

Orange and coral, with blue sky, following the rain

Comparing layers of wall to same type of 
pics from Cuba

Good source of iron, even without their shoes

This afternoon, Mariella and Vincenzo are at La Lanterna to celebrate the 40th wedding anniversary of Maria Teresa’s parents. Elena prepared a beautiful lunch for us. First, fresh pici with tomatoes, whole simmered garlic, and chili threads. The second course was a beautiful rolled pork with prosciutto, carrots, spring onions, and greens. No pictures, because we all dug in at rapid speed. Giuseppe selected a nice wine to accompany it all, so he set aside the one I brought for another time. Dessert was a pistachio colomba from Bacco, a well-reputed brand. Very good. Grappa followed (but not for me).


Nonno and the kids joined in, with Matteo eating everything, and Ettore needing to be coaxed. Joe asked Nonno about his travels, which include Russia, Egypt, Germany, to name a few.

He looked at me, said “Che bella!,” and asked Joe, could he believe I’m 63? (He should see my astounding sister!) Joe shrugged, or something equally generous to that effect. Nonno and I have always been buddies. I told Joe that maybe the old guys here are more appreciative. I think his response was, “Who do you want to be attractive for?,” and the answer is “Myself,” but I said, “You,” which isn’t untrue. Some things just get lost in translation. But I’m picking up more of the hydrating facial masks and conditioner I used yesterday, just in case that’s been the impetus for today’s compliments!

Elena asked why we’re only staying two months this time. The short answer is family. Real-life obligations, such as doing my share with my mom (my sister has shouldered the effort in my absence; never complains, but still not fair to her. Although both mom and she have been Team Karen & Joe in Italy, all the way! And my kids, especially Nikos, are good cheerleaders), and then there are things I’ll throw into the category of “Other”. Elena and I had a talk about it. She gets the picture.

And now Joe is napping. It’s 4:40, and the sun is shining. I may go out for a caffe.

*****

Joe awoke shortly after I wrote that, and was up for walking off some of that big lunch. I suggested we go to the other end of the belvedere, to see what’s happening in that less-traveled part of Biancavilla.

The answer appears to be: construction and renovation! There are a few projects going on. But first, we had to walk by the property with the ruins of a large cistern.



Then a glance toward Etna, down streets where homes had new facades.



And a building getting a facelift here,


….and new construction here.


Lastly, I believe we finally found the place where Alessandro gets the fabulous “Sabato Pizza”!


All signs are pointing to an up-and-coming city. We should buy property while it’s reasonable.

And though I’m still stuffed from lunch, it’s now or never on those pork chops. I’ll make the bietola greens to accompany them.

What last weekend and its surrounding days were to seafood, this weekend and more has been to meat. 

Rice and vegetables going forward? Nah.

Postscript: the dinner was great!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Riparo Cassataro

Cinema Paradiso and more

Festa di Sant' Antonio