A Heartwarming Welcome!

I remember picking up my firstborn, John, from toddler daycare one day, many years ago. On that day, for some reason, I decided to hide and observe him at play. Being a daycare, there weren’t a lot of good hiding spots. After only a minute or two, John caught a glimpse of me and came running across the room with the most amazing look of happiness on his face. I’ve played that reel in my head many times; especially during the challenging years. It will be one of those flash-before-my-eyes scenes as I take my last breath (which hopefully is not soon). 

Today, I was given another such moment. 

Vincenzo picked me up from Fontanarossa and drove me to Biancavilla. Elena is still in the hospital, and I understand they’re inducing her. Baby Matteo will be here soon! As we opened the entry door, I had a rush of hugs—Mariella, Agnese, Rachele, Alessandro, Maria Teresa! Ettore was napping. 

I was swooshed into Mariella’s kitchen, to have rigatoni with mussels and tomatoes. Man, oh man; I missed her cooking. Then the girls followed me upstairs, chatting all the while, absolutely effervescent. They heard Lilliana’s family arriving. I said I needed to use the bathroom and would be down to Nonna’s in a minute. I quickly freshened up and changed clothes, since Ryanair put me through sweaty aerobics earlier.

Agnese, holding the sign they made for me

As usual, I knocked once and let myself in. I could hear Ettore in the start of either a cry or a tantrum—remember; he’s missing his mommy. As I took two steps in, he saw me from the end of the long marble hallway, at the back of the house. He stopped silent, stared for half a second, then ran all the way to the front door, leaping up for me to catch him. His little arms went round my neck, his head was on my shoulder, and he held me and wouldn’t let go. I can’t write more about it, since the emotion is on hyper overload. This must be what it’s like to welcome your grandchild.

Instead of unpacking, I invited all of the kids to come up to play. I took out PlayDoh and Trader Joe’s jelly beans. 

Ettore with his PlayDoh


I called my mom, who was at Lori and Doug’s, along with Joe, making Sunday sauce on Saturday. Alessandro ordered “Sabato Pizza”. Ettore and I went down to eat, and afterward I brought out the Kentucky bourbons and some other gifts. 

Maria Teresa looks like a kid herself, as she’s a double pony-ride for Agnese and Tea, with Rachele entertaining Ettore in the background 

It’s now so late; I’ve had an immensely full and rich day, but this entry is somewhat lackluster because I can’t keep my eyes open!

Un bel ben tornato.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Riparo Cassataro

Cinema Paradiso and more

Festa di Sant' Antonio